Dealing with the IRS
Your chances of success at dealing with the IRS will be heavily influenced by how well you communicate with the IRS and its employees or agents.
There are a number of things you can do to help things go smoothly when dealing with IRS representatives:
- Stay cool. IRS agent are more likely to work with you on a tax resolution or be helpful if you are cooperative. Remember that the IRS holds all of the power in this situation; you cannot scare or coerce them into taking your side.
- Patience. The IRS can be very repetitive and detail-oriented, which can become tiresome and frustrating to many people. But, it is a necessary part of the tax resolution process; complaining will not help your case.
- If you’ve moved, let the IRS know by filling out their change-of-address form (IRS Form 8822). This ensures that you get important notices on time and can help keep prevent any missed deadlines.
- Always respond to notices or letters from the IRS. Respond promptly, but only after you are certain you have interpreted what the the letter means and understand what is being asked of you.
- Ask for the name and ID number of any IRS employee who calls you. In order to be safe, it is best to ensure that you are actually dealing with an actual IRS employee. Do not give any detailed personal information until you confirm that the call is legitimate.
- Keep calm. It is understandable that you might be fearful or nervous when facing the IRS, even if you have done nothing wrong. However, such nervousness may give off the wrong impression. Proper guidance and carefully planned action throughout the tax resolution process is essential.
IRS Agents are Experts
Of course, considering the stakes involved, this is much easier said than done. No matter what you do you will always be at a disadvantage when dealing with the IRS. Most taxpayers have little or no experience in handling tax problems, tax resolution, and the IRS collection process. However, the IRS agents you will be facing are the absolute experts when it comes to dealing with taxpayers like yourself. It is their job. It is what they do every single day of their working lives. And, while most people know very little about the myriad of details and nuances of the tax code the IRS knows every rule and every tool they can use against you. The IRS literally knows every trick in the book – after all, they wrote it.
Get it Right the First Time.
Contact Tax Mediation Services for trusted tax professionals.
Tax Mediation Services Beverly Hills Office
8383 Wilshire Blvd Suite
800 Beverly Hills, CA 90211